Skip to main content

Training the right instinct responses

When focusing on the inner workings of the trumpet, technique, air, tongue, rhythm, sound, etc..the one thing I don't find discussed enough is instinct response.
Huh??  You may say...Well, I teach about this a lot!  This, to a certain extent, can apply to all musical instruments, but for the trumpet it is a vital discussion.  While talking recently with my trumpet mentor, Charlie Schlueter, he said something to me that I say all the time to my students, "there's nothing natural about playing the trumpet".  I had to laugh because he was reminding me of all the gems of wisdom that came out of my 3 years of studying with him.

Instincts serve us well for the most part in everyday life.  Unfortunately, certain instincts and body function instincts are the opposite of what a trumpet player needs to be able to count on to play well.

This will be an ongoing discussion here.  So, I will begin with some basics.

The most basic instinct we have is the fear/flight mechanism.  That adrenaline rush that happens when we are at risk, either physically/verbally.  This same mechanism reacts similarly when we perform.  Much has been written about this issue so I won't focus too much here.  This instinct can reek havoc on our abilities to breath and not be tight.

Other instinctual impulses connected to our senses are a problem with trumpet playing.

The one I will discuss first is sight.  Without knowing it we see a high note and instinctually blow up, and even worse assume because it's "difficult" to play high we must play with force to "get the note out". Why in the world would we assume there is a correlation with where a note is on the page and which direction we should blow?  To the subconscious this makes perfect sense, but boy is it wrong.  This is where guru's like Jimmy Stamp say, blow down for high notes and up for low notes or "when your up your down and when your down your up.  Why is this powerful.  Well....it makes the analysis of tongue position much easier.  But, only if that conception works for you.  Meaning, when you
blow up does your tongue drop and vis a versa does your (back 2/3rds) tongue elevate?  For others, analyzing the specifics of what the tongue does works best.  Most important here is that none of this is natural, thus our subconscious cues have to be retrained. Is your sense of sight sending you strong assumptions?  If so, what do you do to re-train correct trumpet behavior!  I give my students specific drills just for this problem.

The second one I will discuss is air flow related to our subconscious impulse to regulate speeds of air with sight again.  I consider my air flow in all registers and all volumes to be fast!  How much is released is a matter of tongue placement and control.  This is not natural, so it must be a calculated retraining of our impulse to change air speeds based on what we see or assume.  Keeping the air speed fast at all times makes playing so much easier and dependable. Especially, when there are dynamic changes and tempo changes.  Slowing your air down in andante and slower tempos is a big problem.  The same goes for soft dynamics and longer valued notes.

This should peak some interest to discuss more.....

In future posts I will discuss more in depth air and tongue control as well as note grouping.

Parts II,  III,  and IV on this topic can be found by tapping on the number.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of the New Bach C Trumpets and Eb

Just had a chance to try the new line of Bach Artisan C trumpets as well as the "Philly" and "Chicago" C trumpets. For me, the "Philly" C was great. I loved the response, flexibility, intonation, and sound of all the C's I tried. The "Chicago" model was quite good as well, but was a bit more zippy for me. Both instruments were close in feel and response. I preferred the "Philly" model. Very nice horn! I was quite surprised to find I didn't like the Artisan Model. It was a good horn with nice color, but I felt the flexibility was a bit stiff, and the sound was good, but different enough for me to prefer the "Philly" sound. I felt there were some standard intonation issues that didn't work so well for me. Unfortunately, I didn't get to try a silver plated one as someone bought it before the day began. Jury is still out for me on this. But, I can't imagine the flexibility issues (for me) will change on the s

District Congratulations

All of my students who auditioned for districts did extremely well this year. Those that did not make it came VERY close. I am very proud of you all! Late congratulations go to Mark Soo who made Senior District and had a wonderful time at the event. Congratulations go to Michael Soo who as a Freshman missed getting into Senior Districts by one point. Michael made first chair in Junior Districts! Michael has only been playing for 2 years, so this is quite a feat! Congratulations to Christopher Souza who made Districts as a 7th grader. You rock, Chris!! Congratulations to everyone for working so hard and getting up in front of a judge with confidence!

In the Heights

Just finished a 4 week run with 8-9 shows a week of In the Heights at Westport Country Playhouse.  This show was a blow, especially since I had to jump into the fray at the last minute with one rehearsal before the 1st show started.  This is what freelancing is all about and why it is more challenging and less stable than a full time teaching or orchestral job.  Freelancers are on the frontlines being challenged with every job they play, new people to perform at their best with for each job. This show was a great run with a stellar cast and top notch musicians.  I had not played the show before and being more a classical and commercial player than jazz this was a challenge.  Feet to the flames! In the Heights Westport Country Playhouse Video Promo Clip