Skip to main content

My Teaching Concepts

My goal as a teacher and coach is to reduce the process to as few steps as possible. Playing a brass instrument can be daunting, mainly because the process of controlling your air and your tongue is not something that comes naturally to the majority of us. We won’t even talk about the coordination of the valves and rhythm! Let’s just address getting things started.

When we are in total control of our air speed and tongue position there is not much more that we need to do. While this may sound simple, believe me it is not! BUT, the first step is to understand the process, and then work on applying it with absolute consistency.

There are many camps of thought on how to simulate a thought process that will help you achieve the same result. Most of my teachers used some form of “vowel” syllables to aid the tongue in finding its way. Samuel Krauss used a variety of syllables for different sounds and registers. Early on in my training I found his process a bit overwhelming and advanced to put into practice. It was complicated! Over the years I have come to understand his philosophy better. The most important break through, in my own understanding of this air and tongue ratio, was from Charlie Schlueter.

Charlie Schlueter, retired Principal Trumpet of the Boston Symphony, has reduced all of the complicated methodology into a very simple word that sets the tongue and air into perfect harmony, in my opinion.

dHOT!

Just say it! Your tongue is set up to start a note; the word itself sets the air into motion and then delivers it to an END with the tongue. This keeps your tongue forward which will aid in keeping your air flow from slowing down and making notes unstable. Your next note is now set up to begin with no additional movement involved. Now, try this same word without speaking the word, use only air and push the air forward to the end. Another favorite analogy is from the tongue training exercises of Richard Shuebruk. He states that your tongue needs to be trained for strength and speed. "The action is like spitting a seed from the tip of the tongue." Key to beginning the mastery of this is to remember that the jaw stays absolutely in place with NO movement. Practice this by talking without moving your jaw with your lips slightly parted. This will show you how the tongue and air can do it's job without any movement of the jaw.

Mastery of this sent my playing on levels I could not have imagined as well as my teaching skills. Don’t get me wrong, there are many other skills to develop within this method, but this is the fastest way to get things happening correctly, I believe.

If you are interested in trying my method which melds this above concept and applies it to the methods of Adams, Stamp, Cichowicz, and Caruso, Jacobs, etc.. take a lesson or two with me and give it a shot. All of my students show great progress in their playing when they apply these methods AND practice!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of the New Bach C Trumpets and Eb

Just had a chance to try the new line of Bach Artisan C trumpets as well as the "Philly" and "Chicago" C trumpets. For me, the "Philly" C was great. I loved the response, flexibility, intonation, and sound of all the C's I tried. The "Chicago" model was quite good as well, but was a bit more zippy for me. Both instruments were close in feel and response. I preferred the "Philly" model. Very nice horn! I was quite surprised to find I didn't like the Artisan Model. It was a good horn with nice color, but I felt the flexibility was a bit stiff, and the sound was good, but different enough for me to prefer the "Philly" sound. I felt there were some standard intonation issues that didn't work so well for me. Unfortunately, I didn't get to try a silver plated one as someone bought it before the day began. Jury is still out for me on this. But, I can't imagine the flexibility issues (for me) will change on the s

District Congratulations

All of my students who auditioned for districts did extremely well this year. Those that did not make it came VERY close. I am very proud of you all! Late congratulations go to Mark Soo who made Senior District and had a wonderful time at the event. Congratulations go to Michael Soo who as a Freshman missed getting into Senior Districts by one point. Michael made first chair in Junior Districts! Michael has only been playing for 2 years, so this is quite a feat! Congratulations to Christopher Souza who made Districts as a 7th grader. You rock, Chris!! Congratulations to everyone for working so hard and getting up in front of a judge with confidence!

In the Heights

Just finished a 4 week run with 8-9 shows a week of In the Heights at Westport Country Playhouse.  This show was a blow, especially since I had to jump into the fray at the last minute with one rehearsal before the 1st show started.  This is what freelancing is all about and why it is more challenging and less stable than a full time teaching or orchestral job.  Freelancers are on the frontlines being challenged with every job they play, new people to perform at their best with for each job. This show was a great run with a stellar cast and top notch musicians.  I had not played the show before and being more a classical and commercial player than jazz this was a challenge.  Feet to the flames! In the Heights Westport Country Playhouse Video Promo Clip