Skip to main content

Mastering freelance chops

My career has been predominantly as a freelancer and private teacher.   While there is no glory is saying that, there is a lot to be proud of despite our industry not giving us much recognition.  Freelancers have no benefits, no paid time off, if we're sick we have to most always find our own replacements all while quite probably loosing that gig connection or moving down the call list.  You have to be in top form at all times because you just don't know when that phone will ring.  Vacations are usually with you horn in tow.  This is the career most of us end up with, and at least in the past, we were not prepared for this reality!
 Personally, I have been called to play a live broadcast of a Boston Pops concert to replace someone ill, but had to turn it down because I just had my gall bladder removed two days before.  Believe me, I was trying to think of any way I could maneuver myself on stage to play.  Then reality said, What!  You must be kidding!"
I was beat up one evening by 5 guys while I was in the middle of a 7 week run of a show at 1am after returning from a show.  I lost work and money and returned probably way too soon, but I had little choice.  There are many more stories, but these two were highlights.

Navigating freelance chops is a tricky business.  The "big guys" so to speak, perform under the best of circumstances for the most part.  Wonderful acoustics, the same colleagues every day for the most part, a chosen genre (classical, jazz, solo, or pop).  These scenarios constantly push them to new heights because they are surrounded by amazing musicians that challenge them.  As a freelancer I have always dreamed of that great Orchestral or Soloist gig that would fit my personality better than freelancing.  That never transpired for me so I continue to make the system I'm not as comfortable with fit for me.

There are weeks when I have been playing shows like Legally Blonde for several weeks and have a run of B Minor Mass thrown in between.  Now, while both are about playing high notes, the style of playing could not be more different.  Instrument and mouthpiece choices become crucial!  Finding the right sound and approach for the job at hand and delivering with confidence is key.

The best advice I can give is to prepare for this type of career now!  This is the norm these days.  You will most likely end up in the freelance arena either permanently or at minimum for an extended period while attempting getting into another arena.  Good jobs are more scarce than ever.  Reinvent a new way to present yourself and your art.  Try dearly to be true to yourself and your creative spirit.

Being a great player is a matter of discipline, yes, but practicing efficiently and effectively is key.  That is the elusive part!!

It took me years to overcome, and I still work on this!   Two things:  you don't have to be THE best virtuoso and you have to be ok with you!  I am in no way a Zen Master, but a Zen student.  Zen and trumpet work nicely together.  Learning to prepare then let go is the challenge.

Part 2 and Part 3 to this article can be found here and here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of the New Bach C Trumpets and Eb

Just had a chance to try the new line of Bach Artisan C trumpets as well as the "Philly" and "Chicago" C trumpets. For me, the "Philly" C was great. I loved the response, flexibility, intonation, and sound of all the C's I tried. The "Chicago" model was quite good as well, but was a bit more zippy for me. Both instruments were close in feel and response. I preferred the "Philly" model. Very nice horn! I was quite surprised to find I didn't like the Artisan Model. It was a good horn with nice color, but I felt the flexibility was a bit stiff, and the sound was good, but different enough for me to prefer the "Philly" sound. I felt there were some standard intonation issues that didn't work so well for me. Unfortunately, I didn't get to try a silver plated one as someone bought it before the day began. Jury is still out for me on this. But, I can't imagine the flexibility issues (for me) will change on the s

District Congratulations

All of my students who auditioned for districts did extremely well this year. Those that did not make it came VERY close. I am very proud of you all! Late congratulations go to Mark Soo who made Senior District and had a wonderful time at the event. Congratulations go to Michael Soo who as a Freshman missed getting into Senior Districts by one point. Michael made first chair in Junior Districts! Michael has only been playing for 2 years, so this is quite a feat! Congratulations to Christopher Souza who made Districts as a 7th grader. You rock, Chris!! Congratulations to everyone for working so hard and getting up in front of a judge with confidence!

In the Heights

Just finished a 4 week run with 8-9 shows a week of In the Heights at Westport Country Playhouse.  This show was a blow, especially since I had to jump into the fray at the last minute with one rehearsal before the 1st show started.  This is what freelancing is all about and why it is more challenging and less stable than a full time teaching or orchestral job.  Freelancers are on the frontlines being challenged with every job they play, new people to perform at their best with for each job. This show was a great run with a stellar cast and top notch musicians.  I had not played the show before and being more a classical and commercial player than jazz this was a challenge.  Feet to the flames! In the Heights Westport Country Playhouse Video Promo Clip