Skip to main content
So the school year has begun!  Where has the time gone!  I haven't posted in quite some time which means, for me, I was very busy performing and teaching.  Unfortunately for my blog, it hasn't been good.  So it's time to offer some incentive for upcoming lesson time.

This is the question I hear more than any (well really kind of like a landslide):  Why is the trumpet so hard to play? 

The answer, of course, is complicated.  Mainly, because once you understand how the subconscious works to oppose everything you do, trumpet playing is reduced to just a few simple processes.  Now, the processes I speak of are simple yet hard to implement consistently.  At this point I may need to mention that you should fight that instinctive urge to throw your trumpet up against the wall!!  Remember...part of the process is fighting those subconscious instincts:-)

So to answer the question as simply as possible.  Playing the trumpet may appear difficult in the beginning for a couple of reasons. First, you have to learn where to place your tongue and how to move air properly as soon as possible before habits can get out of control. Second, neither of these processes come naturally. We have to learn to place the tongue in a position that is not natural for everyday life and we have to control air movement in a very fast way that we never use in everyday life. And last, and most important, all of our instincts tell us to do many things opposite to what works on the trumpet. So..my job is to train your brain to think differently while you play the trumpet. Once this is accomplished nothing holds you back from success!

Now is the time to get those lessons going with me if you live in the area.  I am not teaching via skype or other on-line ways yet.  I'm working on changing that with a bit of trepidation.  My style of teaching has to be adapted a bit to make ME feel more comfortable doing this medium.  I'm very much into the personal connection I get with my students feeding of my energy and I'm not sure how that will work on-line.  I will post here when I have made the leap for those of you who may be interested in studying with me, but are no where near my location.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of the New Bach C Trumpets and Eb

Just had a chance to try the new line of Bach Artisan C trumpets as well as the "Philly" and "Chicago" C trumpets. For me, the "Philly" C was great. I loved the response, flexibility, intonation, and sound of all the C's I tried. The "Chicago" model was quite good as well, but was a bit more zippy for me. Both instruments were close in feel and response. I preferred the "Philly" model. Very nice horn! I was quite surprised to find I didn't like the Artisan Model. It was a good horn with nice color, but I felt the flexibility was a bit stiff, and the sound was good, but different enough for me to prefer the "Philly" sound. I felt there were some standard intonation issues that didn't work so well for me. Unfortunately, I didn't get to try a silver plated one as someone bought it before the day began. Jury is still out for me on this. But, I can't imagine the flexibility issues (for me) will change on the s

District Congratulations

All of my students who auditioned for districts did extremely well this year. Those that did not make it came VERY close. I am very proud of you all! Late congratulations go to Mark Soo who made Senior District and had a wonderful time at the event. Congratulations go to Michael Soo who as a Freshman missed getting into Senior Districts by one point. Michael made first chair in Junior Districts! Michael has only been playing for 2 years, so this is quite a feat! Congratulations to Christopher Souza who made Districts as a 7th grader. You rock, Chris!! Congratulations to everyone for working so hard and getting up in front of a judge with confidence!

In the Heights

Just finished a 4 week run with 8-9 shows a week of In the Heights at Westport Country Playhouse.  This show was a blow, especially since I had to jump into the fray at the last minute with one rehearsal before the 1st show started.  This is what freelancing is all about and why it is more challenging and less stable than a full time teaching or orchestral job.  Freelancers are on the frontlines being challenged with every job they play, new people to perform at their best with for each job. This show was a great run with a stellar cast and top notch musicians.  I had not played the show before and being more a classical and commercial player than jazz this was a challenge.  Feet to the flames! In the Heights Westport Country Playhouse Video Promo Clip